Welcome to the 10 day money saving challenge! Over the next 10 days, we will focus on one new way to save money. The savings will be recurring each month, so take the time to put in the work and you will continue to see your savings increase!
I encourage you to open up a new bank account to put your saved money into. It is a wonderful feeling to watch it grow! Then at the end of the month, quarter, or year, you can do something specific with the money. Give your finances the best benefit from this challenge that you can!
(This post contains affiliate links of products that I use and love. To read the full disclosure, click here.)
Let’s get started with day 1!
Today is about your cable bill! If you don’t currently have cable, I still encourage you to read this so you have money saving ideas if you do ever decide to get cable.
One of the easiest ways to save on cable is to switch to a provider that is less expensive. There are a number of options available including Sling, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.
Take a look at each one below to see which would work best for you. You may even want to try each of their free trials before making a decision – that’s what I did 🙂
Sling TV starts at only $20/month, and you can try a risk free 7 day trial before signing up. Oh, and there’s no committment – ever!
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial You get access to tons of great shows and movies, free kindle books, and free 2 day shipping. They also have ah-mazing customer service. (Trust me, I’ve relied on their customer service more than a few times!)
Netflix also offers a free 30 day free trial. The neat thing about Netflix is that they have “original series” that you can only find on Netflix.
Now if none of the three ideas above appeal to you, and you are very attached to your cable and can’t imagine switching, there are some options for you too!
Call your cable provider and ask for the current promotion.
Easy peasy right?
Well it depends who you get on the phone. Some people won’t budge no matter how much you ask. At that point, thank them for their time and hang up! Don’t waste any more of your time talking to them. Want to know why? You are going to call back the next day and talk to someone else! Can it be a pain calling back again? Yes. Is it worth it to save $15, $20, $50 a month? Heck yes!
If you’d rather not call someone or if you are getting nowhere on the phone, go into a local branch. They can often get you the best deal!
I stopped into the office of our cable provider and told them I wanted to cancel my cable and immediately I got great offers to bundle things and get it cheaper, and they offered me the current promotional rate even though I was already a customer. Sometime you can get more channels for cheaper. That’s a win-win!
Tips & Tricks:
- Always be polite. You will get nowhere by being rude, because then no one wants to help you out.
- Check the rates of a competitor and let your current cable company know what they are. They likely already know their competitors rates, but if you show them that you know as well, they are more inclined to match it.
- If you don’t ask, you won’t get it. If you really want those movie channels but can’t afford them, ask if they will throw them in for you. The worst that can happen is that they say no.
- Know what you are willing to do, or not willing to do, before making the call or visit. If you are not willing to give up your cable, then don’t tell them you want to cancel it. If they say “ok” and cancel it, then you just lost your negotiation power.
- Some good phrases to use: “I am considering changing my cable provider because xyz has the same service for x amount.”, “I feel my current cable cost is too high, what can you do for me?”, “I saw your newest promotion for x, can you offer me that promotion on my account?”
I have tried Sling TV, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. While I do love them all (how did I pick just one?!?) I decided to switch to Sling TV for now. My husband likes the ESPN channels, and it has my HGTV. The only downfall is that it doesn’t have a lot of movies like Netflix and Amazon Prime. However, they offer free HBO weekends usually every month or 2, so I catch up on my movies then!
Sling cost: $21.09 per month ($20 + tax)
Savings every month: (64.99-21.09) $43.90 /month
Now it’s your turn. Try the free trials for Sling TV, Amazon Prime, and Netflix, and see which one you like best. Then cancel your cable, sign up for the program(s) of your choice, and start enjoying those monthly savings!